top of page

Sponsor parents and Grandparents

Eligibility to sponsor own Parents and Grandparents related by blood or adoption


  • invited to apply

  • at least 18 years old

  • live in Canada

  • a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • have enough money to support the people sponsored


A separate application is to be submitted if sponsoring divorced parents and grandparents. If  divorced parents or grandparents have a current spouse, common-law partner or a conjugal partner, these people become dependants on the application and can immigrate to Canada with parents and grandparents, if approved.


Can include brothers and sisters, or half brothers and sisters, or step-brothers and step-sisters only if they qualify as dependent children.

A sponsor must promise to financially support the people sponsored. The undertaking commits sponsor to


  • providing financial support for sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents

  • repaying any provincial social assistance (money from the government) sponsored family members get during that time

  • sponsor and  sponsored family members need to sign sponsorship agreement


The sponsorship agreement means that the basic needs of sponsored family members will be provided. This agreement is still valid even in the case of


  • marriage ending, separation or divorce

  • family rifts

  • unemployment

  • change in finances

  • death of the main applicant

bottom of page