top of page


Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

Apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot if:


  • meet the eligibility requirements

  • have a job offer to work in one of these occupations


Candidates will be given an occupation-restricted open work permit to work temporarily. Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is not needed for this work permit. It helps candidates to gain required work experience to be eligible for their permanent residence. 


While working in Canada, foreign nationals must always have valid temporary resident status. Make sure to extend work permit before it expires and/or change its conditions before it expires


Note that foreign nationals can continue working under the same conditions of the original work permit while waiting for a decision, if proper application is submitted for a new work permit before the current permit expires.


Temporary work for caregivers

Candidates may be able to work temporarily if they don't meet the requirements for permanent residence as a caregiver.


May be eligible to extend your work permit through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) if currently working in Canada as a caregiver. Employer will need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) first.


Apply for a new work permit


Foreign nationals can apply through the TFWP to work in Canada temporarily as a caregiver


  • in Canada and eligible to apply for a work permit from inside Canada

  • if outside Canada and employer applied for an LMIA before June 18, 2019, or

  • will be working in Quebec


However note that employer will need to apply first and get a LMIA.

bottom of page