top of page

Federal Skilled Trades

Minimum requirements


  • meet the required language levels for each language ability

  • have at least 2 years of full-time paid work (paid wages or earned commission) work experience

  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification

  • have a valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority


Skilled work experience

Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) and they are all skill type B.


  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades

  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades

  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production

  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators

  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks

  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers


Education : There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. 


Language ability

Meet the minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing


Language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day of application for permanent residence.


Proof of funds

Must have enough money for applicant and their family to settle in Canada, unless currently able to legally work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

bottom of page