top of page

Study Permit

Nearly 500,000 international students choose Canada for their studies on a yearly basis.  A Canadian education opens the door to employment and business opportunities and life in Canada after their studies. 


International students in Canada enjoy the same freedoms as domestic students – respect for human rights, equality and a stable, peaceful society.  


University or college (undergraduate)

College or vocational school offers career-focused learning in a very practical way. University studies include lectures and labs, tutorials or workshops that will help prepare students for their future career. 


Graduate or postgraduate (Master’s degree and PhD)

A master’s, PhD or doctoral student will be doing  research or field work for their final research project, thesis or dissertation. 


How to apply

Choose a school, college or university. Every school has different rules on how to apply. School websites will tell about  

  • the cost to apply

  • tuition fees

  • health insurance

  • rent and how much it costs to live in Canada

  • language tests.

  • Fill out the application forms for the school or schools of choice. 


To apply for a study permit, students need to send the acceptance letter from the school which will be provided directly by the respective school if the school admits the candidate as student. 


A study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Study permit is not a visa. Students may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) and mostly will be issued with study permit.


Eligibility for study permit


  • enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)

  • Proof of funds to pay

    • tuition fees

    • living expenses for self and any family members travelling with applicant

    • return transportation for self and any family members accompanying applicant

  • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)

  • are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)

  • prove to an officer that will leave Canada when study permit expires


There may be conditions on  study permit such as


  • allowed to work in Canada

  • allowed to travel within Canada

  • the specific date to leave Canada

  • where can study (a specific DLI listed on your permit)

  • whether need an immigration medical examination


Need these documents to apply for a study permit:


  • proof of acceptance

  • proof of identity, and

  • proof of financial support

May also need

  • a letter of explanation

  • a certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ)

  • a custodian declaration (minors only)

Minimum funds needed to support as a student (and family members who are accompanying)


Persons coming to Canada.  Amount of funds required per year (doesn’t include tuition).  Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)

You (the student).                                         CAN$10,000                                                                                       CAN$833

First family member                                     CAN$4,000                                                                                        CAN$333

Every additional accompanying

family member                                             CAN$3,000                                                                                        CAN$255

Student Direct Stream

Students who live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam may be eligible for student permit within 20 calendar days




  • A legal resident living in 1 of the following countries:

    • Antigua and Barbuda

    • Brazil

    • China

    • Colombia

    • Costa Rica

    • India

    • Morocco

    • Pakistan

    • Peru

    • Philippines

    • Senegal

    • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

    • Trinidad and Tobago

    • Vietnam

  • have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution

  • live outside of Canada when applying

  • have proof that tuition for first year of study is paid

  • have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000

  • have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration ( if study is in Quebec)

  • get a medical exam before applying (if applicable)

  • get a police certificate before applying (if applicable)

  • have most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)

  • have a language test result that shows either:

    • an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic or general training score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening), or

    • a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF)  score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)


Spouse or common-law partner and dependent children may also be able to get faster processing as long as their applications are complete and submitted at the same time as the applicant. 

  • visitor visa

  • work permit

  • study permit

Indicate that family members are coming with principal applicants to Canada while applying online.

bottom of page